Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Olympics

I love the Olympics. Most particularly I love watching sports or, really, anything competitive. I also love an excuse to visit a pub with friends and cheer loudly with the occasional smack talking. The Olympics play into all of these things.

What the Olympics make me think of most, however, is this old picture I tore out of a magazine when I was seventeen.

I don't remember the magazine but I distinctly remember the photo. It had three little girls standing in a line, all wearing bathing suits in the hot summer sun. Their mouths smiled widely at the camera. There was no drama. No sucked-in bellies. No vanity. No insecurity. There were just three adorable, beautiful, perfect little girls. The caption read, "Remember when you loved your body?"

At seventeen this ad really resonated with me. The Olympics are all about country pride and culture--and yet it's counter culture. Instead of make-up laden underweight women, it's like one giant advertisement for healthy, powerful bodies and proof that these bodies come in a million different shapes and sizes and are still beautiful and capable all the same. I LOVE that!

But what about you? What do you love most about the Olympics?

No comments:

Post a Comment