Thursday, April 7, 2011

In Which There's a Dance Off

I've written here about how much I love a good sing-off so, of course, it's no surprise I'm obsessed with Glee. Still, as far as I'm concerned there's nothing that beats a great dance-off. In fact, 80s dance-off is number 7 on my "25 Things You Don't Know About Me" post (aka, my first blog post EVER).

I caught the movie Take Me Home Tonight recently. It's a bit of an 1980s version of the movie Can't Hardly Wait.

Topher Grace did a great job as a recent M.I.T. college grad still trying to figure out what he's supposed to do with his life. In the vein of "Can't Hardly Wait" or "Superbad," this film takes the one night adventure with a quirky best friend with the goal of landing the girl. Because the characters are a little older, however, I felt their storylines held a little substance or perhaps simply the similar pressures of high school coupled with "real world" issues too (e.g. If you hate your job and that's how you're defined then what does that say about you?)

While there were silly moments like this dance off (which includes none other than the infamous Karate Kid kick), the film is well balanced with questions of how we judge others, what we want in life, and whether it's okay not to know.

And so without further ado, let the dancing begin!



Anyone else know of a good dance-off or sing-off? Share it here!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure that O completely agree with all of these -- but this should spur SOME discussion.

    http://www.filmcritic.com/features/2011/02/top-ten-movie-dance-offs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starsky and Hutch was a pretty good one!

    ReplyDelete