Thursday, April 14, 2011

What I've Learned This Week

1. Just because it's spring doesn't mean you can't get a cold.

I know I've totally slacked this week on the blog posts. Just as the nice weather has decided to make it's grand appearance down here in DC, my allergies have acted up and I've been walking around in a haze. To make up for it I'm posting a review of Elizabeth Eulberg's The Lonely Hearts Club tomorrow. (You won't be disappointed!)

2. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I cannot believe it but I'm almost at the main climax of my WIP (ie. the end is near)! I have three chapters in need of some sprucing and then four more to go. In word count that puts me at approximately 60K and counting.

3. Nothing puts me in a better mood than fresh tulips.

My husband came home the other day with a bouquet of tulips. Seeing them around the house reminds me of the nice weather and leads to daydreams of the hiking I'll do and the fun trips I'll take and the sundresses I'll resurrect from my closet.

4. Fun trips are just around the corner.

I booked a trip to Orlando (for a girlfriend's 30th birthday) and a trip to Turks & Caicos (for a wedding). Both were made so long ago that they seemed like happy thoughts to get me through the cold winter and not realities getting closer and closer. It dawned on me yesterday that they are both mere weeks away. I'm thrilled, of course, at losing my "office tan" (ie. pasty whiteness) but my abs (alright everything!) may need a serious boot camp to get bikini ready. Wish me luck!

5. There is no age restriction for YA.

Last night my dad (ie. my 63-year-old father) told me he's been listening to The Hunger Games on audiotape on his commutes to and from work. And on top of that, I wasn't even the one to convince him to check it out. It was my mother! YA FTW!

6. Home improvement projects are like bad relationships.

My husband and I have been doing a lot of projects around the house. Part of home ownership I've learned is that there are always more projects to do. But they're like bad relationships in that there are so many highs and lows. Highs: OMG, that paint color actually looks like what it's supposed to. Lows: How the hell did I get dark blue paint on the ceiling and do you think that crack means we need to call a plumber? By the end you're just glad when it's over and you can move on.

7. I've uncovered another swagger song.

I know I've discussed swagger songs before. Others have been included here. Well, now I have a new one, "Uncharted" by Sara Bareilles. I LOVE it! There are also a ton of cameos from Ben Folds to Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles and more. Enjoy!




What have you learned this week?

1 comment:

  1. First - Uncharted is an awesome swagger song! I've watched the video a million times and sing along every single time. My sisters and I saw Sara B in Providence a few Saturdays ago and she was just wonderful. AND she sang F*(^ You as her 2nd song. That was so much fun to sing along to with a crowd!

    What I've learned this week:
    1) Remodeling clients are confusing (we're remodelers). The don't care if we've given them our right leg and left arm to remodel their kitchen. If someone gives them a cheaper price for the bathroom they're taking it. I hope their toilet falls off the wall the first time they sit on it - but I'm not bitter.

    2) Extended family is family no matter how crazy, annoying or what stupid thing they're doing this time. Who cares if you have to host the holidays every single time because they do bring something and isn't it just fun to sit and talk and laugh like we were all teenagers again and all our parents were in the next room?

    3) Wine is fine at dinnertime. But make sure it's not until dinner is in the oven or everyone will be eating macaroni and cheese out of a box.

    (my first post got eaten by the internet, let's home I have been luck this time)

    ReplyDelete