Thursday, March 24, 2011

Confession

I have REALLY written out of order in my current WIP. Sure there were a couple, maybe even a few scenes or chapters I had written out of order in other work but I'm at a whole new level now.

I don't know what's spurred it. Maybe it's because I've had less time to write lately, both in days and duration of time in a given day. I tried to force-write a scene the other day and I couldn't do it. It was the next chronological chapter, I know what's supposed to happen because I have an outline of the story's structure, but I just wasn't feeling it.

On the drive home earlier that day, however, I had heard "Never Say Never" by The Fray and something about it struck a chord with how my character is feeling at a particular moment in his journey and so I gave myself permission to jump ahead to that scene, and it was great! The words poured out of me.

Maybe it's the music, maybe it's how I'm feeling on a certain day, or what's on my mind at a particular moment but sometimes I can tap into my character in different ways.

I know I should try to be more mindful to write in order and I know that by not writing in order I'm causing a lot more editing for myself but I think giving yourself permission to jump around on occasion isn't necessarily a bad thing. For me, it helps me write in the zone, to transport myself into that moment rather than just observe it.

What's your confession? Do you ever break any writing rules on purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment