Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cover Love

I came across a few new book covers that I just adore though all for different reasons.

1. The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry



I love how simple yet creative this cover is. Plus, if you love to cook then I dare you to try and resist this book especially after its fabulous comparison: "Julie & Julia meets Jodi Picoult in this poignant and delectable novel with recipes, chronicling one woman’s journey of self-discovery at the stove." LOVE it! I must add this to my reading list.

Here's a little more about the storyline:

After the unexpected death of her parents, shy and sheltered twenty-six-year-old Ginny Selvaggio, isolated by Asperger’s Syndrome, seeks comfort in family recipes. But the rich, peppery scent of her Nonna’s soup draws an unexpected visitor into the kitchen: the ghost of Nonna herself, dead for twenty years, who appears with a cryptic warning—before vanishing like steam from a cooling dish.

A haunted kitchen isn’t Ginny’s only challenge. Her domineering sister Amanda insists on selling their parents’ house in Philadelphia, the only home Ginny has ever known. As she packs up her parents’ belongings, Ginny finds evidence of family secrets she isn’t sure how to unravel. She knows how to turn milk into cheese and cream into butter, but she doesn’t know why her mother hid a letter in the bedroom chimney, or the identity of the woman in her father’s photographs. The more she learns, the more she realizes the keys to these riddles lie with the dead, and there’s only one way to get answers: cook from dead people’s recipes, raise their ghosts, and ask them.

Offering a fascinating glimpse into the unique mind of a woman struggling with Asperger’s and featuring evocative and mouth-watering descriptions of food, this lyrical novel is as delicious and joyful as a warm brownie.

2. Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender



Now I'm not usually one for horror books (or movies) but I have to admit this sounds seriously interesting and the cover is pretty bad-ass in my opinion. Plus, you HAVE to check out its book trailer. AMAZING.



3. Hold Still by Nina LaCour



I have to confess, I definitely have a soft spot for contemporary books and covers done in soft tones usually featuring a photograph rather than really modern artwork or typography. I don't know, that's just what I'm first drawn to at the bookstore and I suppose considering a large majority of books that I read in both YA and adult fiction are contemporary, it's probably not a big surprise. This book cover, therefore, is right up my alley. I also like how the girl on the cover almost seems to be on a precipice as if we don't know if she's about to jump and fall or fly.

I also wanted to highlight this book as it tackles the issue of teen suicide something that we've all heard a lot about lately and which I highlighted in my post about the "It Gets Better" Trevor Project. I congratulate LaCour for tackling such a difficult topic and from what I've read and watched about it, with haunting yet poetic prose.

Here's the book trailer which I think you'll agree, is pretty fantastic. The slightly grainy feel of the film coupled with the narrator's voice-over seems to really tap into the heart of the novel and the difficulty of coping with depression and loss.



Anyone else see some great new book covers or have recommended reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment