Monday, January 7, 2013

Swagger Song

Happy Monday! I had a bit of trouble getting out of bed this morning. I admit, I don't do well with it still pitch black outside my window when the alarm goes off. For that reason, I think Mondays are the perfect day to have a new jam and I just stumbled up one by William Fitzsimmons.

I became a fan of Fitzsimmons during the first go around on my WIP, particularly as I wrote some of the more melodramatic, emotional scenes. Fitzsimmons has this great folksy, raw quality to his music that just resonates. I was particularly surprised to learn that he did a cover of Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" so I had to check it out and I was pleasantly surprised.

I suppose it's like writing in that, if you're going to break into a genre that's well established, you have to make it your own if you're going to standout. I think the same is true for cover songs, it can't sound like an only slightly different version of what already exists; it needs to feel entirely unique in some way--it has to become your own. So, here is the folksy revamp with Fitzsimmons' own twist. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment