Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Whip It

I caught the last 10 minutes of the movie "Whip It" last night and considering I laughed, nearly cried, and definitely cheered during those 10 minutes I know have to go out and rent this movie to watch in its entirety.

One of the things I LOVED instantly and seemed so appropriate for the roller derby setting were the player nicknames. You know that moment when you read a book or watch a movie and something (although you often can't name it) seems a little off while other times it's so believable because it's perfectly right on. That's how I felt about these names; they added comedic effect while also coming off as authentic for the setting. Here they are; I'll let you decide if you agree.

* Ellen Page as Babe Ruthless
* Jimmy Fallon as 'Hot Tub' Johnny Rocket
* Kristen Wiig as Maggie Mayhem
* Zoƫ Bell as Bloody Holly
* Eve as Rosa Sparks
* Drew Barrymore as Smashley Simpson
* Andrew Wilson as Razor
* Juliette Lewis as Iron Maven
* Ari Graynor as Eva Destruction
* Har Mar Superstar

And here a peak at the movie trailer:



An added bonus of catching the tail-end of the movie was hearing Lorene Scafaria's song "28" playing during the credits. It's an instant new writing song for me.



What about you? Have you uncovered any new great songs or movies to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment