Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Gifts

I love to give--and receive--great books, that's a given. It's not surprising that several people I have to get gifts for are, in fact, getting books among other things. This prompted me to create a shopping list for the holidays with my book recommendations for the various people in not only my life but yours.



For the boyfriend/husband: The Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum

For the single girl: Stay by Allie Larkin. An interview with the author can be found here.

For the single guy: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max (Note: The feminist in me strongly opposes this book and I debated including it but every single, youngish, guy I've met thinks this is just about the most hilarious book they've ever read and so it had to be included in this category.) I'm also including Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern, however, as the safer bet since it still has a snarky sense of humor but is more about family quirks and less about dating exploits. If the single guy is your older, loves-to-travel brother, however, then I might recommend Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks which is great and was read by me, both my brothers, and just about everyone else in my family.

For the teen girl: The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

For the teen boy: You by Charles Benoit

For the 20somethingthing year old girl: The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann Brashares

For the 20something year old boy: See recommendations for the single guy

For the young child: Two Dumb Ducks by Maxwell Eaton III (This is a book by a fellow classmate that seems timely given all the anti-bullying messages right now plus it's super cute.)

For the Mother: The Help by Kathrynn Stockett

For the Father: Freedom by Jonathan Frazen or The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein or The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (I couldn't decide between the literary dad, the family guy, or the addicted to CSI dad so I offered up three choices here.)

For the traveler: McCarthy's Bar: A Journey of Discovery in Ireland by Pete McCarthy

For the quirky aunt or uncle: Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Am I leaving anything off the list? What books are you hoping to get or planning to give this holiday season?

1 comment:

  1. For the boyfriend who's ridiculously into ancient peoples: ""The Humans Who Went Extinct: Why Neanderthals Died Out and We Survived" Makes me yawn, but he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete