Monday, August 16, 2010

Cover Wars

Confession: As much as I love a good title (and I'll share some new favs later this week), I'm a total pushover when it comes to a great book cover.

Sometimes I'll meander into the bookstore just to browse; other times I'll go in with a very clear idea of what book or books I want to purchase. Regardless of how I got in there, I immediately become putty in the book marketers hands. All those displays of shiny covers gets me every time and I leave with many more books than I planned on.

It's a little like dating, I suppose. Sure it needs substance but it's that immediate attraction that sparks my interest. If it's pretty, I'll pick it up, read the jacket, and decide whether to commit. I've seen some really fabulous covers lately so I thought I'd share a few. Call me vain but I dare you to resist these.

Allison Winn Scotch's beautifully done The One That I Want and Time of My Life:


The Map of True Places seems to set a mood for the novel before I even crack a page:


I found I See You Everywhere to be haunting and so completely unique:


Simply From Scratch looks cute and quirky and thanks to the heart-shaped food, we know there's romance brewing:


Although I keep seeing slash marks instead of the title XVI as if Wolverine from X-Men makes an appearance (he doesn't), this cover is just so bad a**, what's not to love?


Bad Taste in Boys
looks delicious and dangerous all at the same time:


The Early Years is true art. I look at this and I think Cezanne:


And I don't even know how they create a partial blurred look in The Mind's Eye but I think it's really freakin' cool:


So tell me, what are some of your all-time favorite book covers?

2 comments:

  1. Steven King's It, JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, Justin Cronin's The Passage, and last but not least, Thomas Rockwell's How To Eat Fried Worms. Not sure why -- but they all stick out in my mind for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to type how I don't think I pay attention. False. I obviously totally do. You know me, and you also know I obviously totally do. There are so many in my brain, but the one I can look at and still see something new, the one that makes me want to read the book for some-dozenth time is the Great Gatsby. I think it's a shame when covers get redone or vanilla'd.

    ReplyDelete