Monday, October 11, 2010

It Gets Better

I recently saw some videos called "It Gets Better" in response to the many teen suicides in recent weeks. The videos are meant to raise awareness about bullying and also about The Trevor Project (866-4-U-TREVOR), a crisis hotline for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth and I wanted to share one of those videos here:



I think for writers, especially MG and YA writers, the issues of acceptance, stigma, social isolation, bullying (both physical and cyber-bullying) are all things that warrant serious attention and I would love to see more inclusion of these themes and how to deal with them in YA literature. I found this Web link of a California Library and their recommended books on bullying but I'd love to hear from you and what novels you've read on the subject and what else you think there needs to be more of in teen books.

No comments:

Post a Comment